Post topics, source code that relate to the Arduino Platform

By danbicks
#57159 Multi tab is the only way to program, I have been doing this now for over 2 years, I would only use a single tab, for a very basic example with minimal code.

It is also good practice to include them as .h files, keep all the dependencies within these files, library's relative to a given tab etc.

You may need to create some flags or strings / datatypes as extern; this them makes them available between different tabs.

Good stuff

Dans
By mrburnette
danbicks wrote:Multi tab is the only way to program, I have been doing this now for over 2 years, I would only use a single tab, for a very basic example with minimal code.
<...>

I have always used multi-tab since starting with Arduino in 2010. It felt more "natural" to me to use the tab-metaphor but I come from a corporate environment and Enterprise tools are generally built this way.

The other thing I do with public projects on my Project Page is to embed 3rd party libraries within the project. I started this after using the PSoC tools from Cypress. That way, the libraries are frozen in time to the way the example code use them; for example LCD libraries, BMP180, etc. Since doing this, I have had far less support requirements for older projects.

Ray
By danbicks
#57204 I was a late starter to Arduino, only been tinkering with this platform for 4 years, before I spent over 20 years programming in the assembler world. I still teach assembler as I think it is a vital skill to have and for students to understand low level programming.

Brilliant project page, first time I have seen it. keep up the great work.

Dans
By mrburnette
danbicks wrote:<...> I still teach assembler as I think it is a vital skill to have and for students to understand low level programming.<...>

Computer Programming is like driving a fine motorcar: one can get behind the wheel and steer, operate the accelerator, brake, and transmission and eventually get to their destination but remain totally detached from the machine that took them the distance. Or, the operator can learn the machine, understand its performance curve, appreciate the transmission gearing, thrill with the steering, braking, mechanical nuances and arrive at the destination ready to do it all again.

But, not everyone appreciates the low-level manipulations. API's and libraries abstract programming constructs in all languages and make programming more efficient but a proficient programmer does not need to write her/his libraries in order to write a good program; high level programming is all about meeting the requirements of the program.

I think all programmers should be exposed to a weebit of assembler just to understand the interaction of the layers: a kind of artistic appreciation. But few will likely go down the low-level path and I do not see any particular reason that they should other than just to know that some special magic is happening beneath their programs.

Ray