The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By Chiefston82
#59108 Hey all, putting this up here to document my journey to way over-engineer a light switch :D
Quick background, I have two hallway lights that are currently hooked up to a motion sensing light switch which I enjoy having. The problem is that late at night the lights still turn on automatically and blind you. However... there is a foot box light below the light switch that the previous owners decided to disconnect in favor of the wall-mounted lights. The wiring still goes up to behind the switch, they just aren't connected to anything currently. I intend to fix that :)
This brings me here, and the ESP8266. The plan is to use the ESP to switch between the wall lights during the day/early evening, and the foot light at night, while keeping the motion sensor. The motion sensor is nothing more than a relay basically. I'm still pondering the way I want to handle switching between the two sets of lights. For sure I intend to have a small config webpage, auto time update with NTP, and hopefully auto-updating of sunrise/sunset to set the time between switching.

Here is the hallway:
Hallway lights.JPG

And here is the current switch:
Old switch.JPG

And the foot light below the old switch:
Foot box light.JPG

I do have some experience working with Arduino, so I'm fairly comfortable with that and will be using Arduino libraries. I've dabbled in HTML/CSS before, but JS/AJAX is new to me. I'll be posting updates as I go. I currently have a Sparkfun Thing to play with, and some ESP-01s on order.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.