Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By mconsidine
#59166 Hi,
I am trying to get a script like the one found here
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... th-avrdude
to work. The issue I have is with two parameters on this line
Code: Select allavrdude -p $avr -c stk500v1 -P $port -b $baud -U $memory:r:/dev/stdout:i > ./$dst.$memory.hex ||
                rm ./$dst.$memory.hex

namely "-p" and "-c".

I understand that the ESP8266 is a different architecture than Arduino and was wondering if anyone knew if a) avrdude could be used in this fashion with the ESP or b) is there a different program that accomplishes the same thing for the ESP? If "a" does anyone know what the parameters for "p" and "c" should be? In the example "p" is for a part number (e.g. a version of the ATMega) and "c" is for the compiler. In experimenting with "-p m328" and "-c avrispmkII" I get a connection and some timeouts, but no data.

(FWIW, I already know how to save the .hex that is uploaded from the Arduino IDE. What I want to understand is exactly what-is-where in an ESP once I program it, so that I can understand any potential for data being left over from a prior project, as well as to the extent that code is not obfuscated.)

Thanks,
mconsidine