As the title says... Chat on...

By curt
#54092 The key for me was adding,in addition to the new build at 0x0000), the esp_init_data_default.bin at 0x3fc000. I did a flash with the new firmware at 0x0000 and esp_init_data_default.bin at 0x3fc000. Still didn't work. Then, after another flash with just the esp_init_data_default.bin at 0x3fc000 again, it worked.
My build was 465 KB and it worked on both a -01 and -12e devkit
Curt
By Matthewk
#60827 Where does the esp_init_data_default.bin come from, and where do you get it? Is it married to a module type or to a version of the flash? That is, is it a totally static file that is the same for every esp8266 or is it the same file for every type of esp8266, like the esp8266-01, or is it married to one of the firmware builds like 0.9.6 etc...
By marcelstoer
Matthewk wrote:Where does the esp_init_data_default.bin come from, and where do you get it?

This is all explained at http://nodemcu.readthedocs.io/en/master ... -init-data.
By Matthewk
#60862 I dug the esp_init_data_default.bin out. It would be nice if it were bundled closer to where you actually need it. In the end I wound up not needing it anyway. The trick for me was to install python on my windows computer. After that I was able to pip install esptool and get esptool, and after that right out of the manual, an erase flash and than a flash with just the bin.

The custom build seems flaky but I think I am right on the edge of being out of memory. My first try with with the default 7 modules and the int build. That loaded and I could do a lot of the built in node things and list AP's etc, however it puked when I tried to upload a file to it. I tried the float version and that did the continuous reset thing, as did a custom build with 9 modules.

Much closer but still not quite there....