General area when it fits no where else

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Barnabybear
#61074 Hi, I'm not sure where the ESP32 is going to end up. The betas went out a year ago and there still doesn't seem to be much doing. In my head the ESP8266 filled a need and was progressed in the maker world to that end. Yes the ESP32 will do much more but Espressif are waiting for others to develop it and it there is not the need there was. I do wonder if:
It has been created to stop someone else doing it.
It was expected makers would jump on it and do the same development.
Any which way, it's a bit like the Pi Zero at the moment - in my view if you can't get one it may as well not exist.
By forlotto
#61078 Of course an esp32 is an esp32 no matter what board it is on support is essentially the same.

This one also looks interesting like the spark fun unit but to me is not as useful as the one I posted I like the nodemcu because of its small footprint and male pins allowing me to cram everything into smaller spaces while offering all of the same advantages of the larger boards. The sparkfun board does not look as interesting to me because while it is easy to solder pins onto something etc I don't feel it does anything other than take more time. I have all the female to female dupont housing I need and wires to make whatever harness needed to make something work more or less no point in reinventing the wheel the male jumpers seem to come off a lot easier that the 15p female once that 15p female is locked on to all those pins it takes a fairly hefty tug and wiggle to get it off.

But surely a noteable product and who knows maybe it does function better in some way I really cannot say but arduino is meant to address the esp32 not just the esp32 on a green board or the esp32 on a red board from a functional aspect it should pretty much be the same no matter what board it is on the differences may be flash sizes in which case you would simply need to address the larger flash size if that were an issue I would think. Could be wrong here would be nice to know but logic would tell me that arduino for esp32 is arduino for esp32 no matter what board it is on.

Anyhow thanks for sharing that is two other products I was not aware of while they don't fit me I presume they fit the needs of many other people.
By dhouston
#61094 The supply of ESP32 boards has improved. Most of the Development Boards listed here...
http://esp32.net/
are now available. I have 4 or 5 from various suppliers.

Most are not breadboard friendly. (I use 2 breadboards w/o power rails on one side.) The AnalogLamb Maple ESP32 is easier to work with because of its headers - you can use jumpers from the headers to a breadboard.