Current Lua downloadable firmware will be posted here

By Alessandro Apollonio
devsaurus wrote:Which type of module do you have? If it's really a 512KByte version then your image probably doesn't fit into the flash.
Also see viewtopic.php?f=160&t=12870

Hi, Thank you for your advice.
Actually the strange think is that with a build downloaded from the github projects, everything go ok. The problem is only with the cloud build...
(Sizes of these two build are quite the same, less than 500KB)
By Alessandro Apollonio
marcelstoer wrote:
Alessandro Apollonio wrote:python ./esptool.py --port=/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART write_flash -fm=dio -fs=4MB 0x00000 nodemcu-master-13-modules-2017-01-13-14-43-14-integer.bin

Try erasing flash first and then omit the flash size parameter.

"-fs=4MB" confused the heck out of me because you need to give the size in mega bits rather than mega bytes - or so I thought. However, you're right https://github.com/espressif/esptool#fl ... h_size--fs now lists the size in MB.

That's wrong, though.

This is the commit that changed the documentation on January 9th: https://github.com/espressif/esptool/co ... 76d2eec7d8 The commit message indicates that the README was updated to prepare for the (upcoming) 2.0 release. That one is not release yet, though (check https://github.com/espressif/esptool/releases). So, as long as you work with esptool.py 1.x you'd have to set "-fs=32m" for a 4MB module.

Starting with v1.2 you can omit the flash size parameter and let esptool.py detect it automatically and thus avoid all confusion.

Hi, I tried also with "detect" parameter but I got the same error...
By alex_g
#61442 Hi, I hope you are getting your problem sorted. I cannot help you, I'm afraid, but it's comforting to know I'm not suffering alone, haha.

I obtained a couple of firmware images today, courtesy of the brilliant "cloud-build" service, but I have been unable to get them to work. I think I've done all the right things, but as a noob, who knows?

Setup: NodeMCU devkit 0.9 (the older, wider one, but still 4 Mb)
Cloud build firmware: Obtained today, 23/1/2017. As well as my custom build (14 modules - dev branch) I also downloaded the "default" master build, just to have something standard to test with.

I have used the command line:

xxx@newbie:~/ESPstuff/Firmware$ sudo python ../esptool/esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB1 write_flash -fm dio -fs 32m 0x00000 ./nodemcu-master-7-modules-2017-01-23-10-06-11-float.bin 0x3fc000 ./esp_init_data_default.bin

I always erase the flash before writing.
The write seems to go OK, flashing its percentages until done, and then outputs this:

esptool.py v1.3-dev
Connecting...
Couldn't connect. [<class '__main__.FatalError'>; Timed out waiting for packet header]. Retrying...
Running Cesanta flasher stub...
Flash params set to 0x0240
Wrote 430080 bytes at 0x0 in 37.3 seconds (92.3 kbit/s)...
Wrote 4096 bytes at 0x3fc000 in 0.4 seconds (89.6 kbit/s)...
Leaving...

Which seems reasonable.
However, when I try to connect all I get is a short stream of garbage, almost like it's not initialising properly. I am using the esp_init_data_default.bin file recommended. Here's a sample output on rebooting in ESPlorer:

PORT OPEN 9600

Communication with MCU..Got answer! Communication with MCU established.
AutoDetect firmware...

Can't autodetect firmware, because proper answer not received (may be unknown firmware).
Please, reset module or continue.
lbC�ȶ��p$>d�42h��K4��n�J�g��L��.�)�@���

I should add that if I flash my previous firmware (nodemcu_float_0.9.6-dev_20150704.bin) on at any stage, with or without erasing it works just fine. Incidentally I don't use any -fs or -fm flags when I flash this one, just a straight write to 0x0000.

I can't really see anything else I should be doing, I've read up all I could find, would be nice to get this one sorted...
Last edited by alex_g on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By alex_g
#61443 PS. I tried it on a different unit, too, my NodeMCU "Witty" board (the lttle square double-story one, I think it's a 12F), and exactly the same problem.

It looks like everything is going OK, esptool reports writing the firmware and the init bin, but it won't give anything (sensible) back to a terminal on bootup.

I'm sure it will be a relatively easy fix, I suspect something to do with the ini files, but what do I know?