Questions with regards to ESP8266 Basic and hardware interfacing and control via Basic commands

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Aussie_Barry
#62752 Hi All,

I have my two nodeMCU's talking to each other in an AP/STA configuration - YAY!
My problem now is the very limited range between the two devices. They work well when situated in the same room or if one is in an adjacent room but anything more than that and they just don't connect. The STA cannot find the AP and boots as its default AP address.

What sort of distance can I reasonably expect these devices to reliably connect and talk to each other?

Cheers
Barry
VK2XBP
By nedudgi
Aussie_Barry wrote:Hi All,

I have my two nodeMCU's talking to each other in an AP/STA configuration - YAY!
My problem now is the very limited range between the two devices. They work well when situated in the same room or if one is in an adjacent room but anything more than that and they just don't connect. The STA cannot find the AP and boots as its default AP address.

What sort of distance can I reasonably expect these devices to reliably connect and talk to each other?

Cheers
Barry
VK2XBP

The distance depends on a lot of circumstances. I am afraid, anybody can have an exact answer. I you move the antenna some inches away, the connection may appear, or disappear. Only free air distance can be supposed. But cosmic radiation, air humidity, big metal object in the neighbourhood affects this values.
Write a program to report the signal level, and will see, what I am talking about - a small movement causes big changes. Try to find a better point to locate your ESPs.