So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By jclmdt
#62841 Hi,

Sorry for posting again. After weeks of trying out, I am still unable to get my arduino mega to communicate with ESP8266 chip and I am really very desperate and in need of help to get it to work.

As per usual, the mega GND is connected to esp8266 GND and mega 3.3V is connected to vcc and ch_pd of esp8266. Tried using an external supply to power the esp8266 but yields the same result (no response from esp8266). The TX of mega connects to RX of esp8266 (via 10k and 20k voltage divider) and RX of mega connects to TX of esp8266.

I have posted on different forums without a successful solution to my problem, and also search online for all sorts of tutorial but none came back positive. I have tried all possible combinations from online tutorial but none work.

My code is a simple code whereby command send in arduino serial monitor will be kept and send to the serial connected to esp8266 (mega has 4 hardware serial port). So far, the esp8266 is not responding to any AT command, even a simple 'AT' has no response back.

Please please help me, thank you so much in advance.
By jeffas
#62922 1. I would definitely use an external power supply. You could be dealing with multiple problems, so at least eliminate that one.
2. Is the ESP TX also going through a voltage converter? I would think that the Mega expects 5v input.
3. Have you ever managed to communicate at all with the ESP? Do you have a USB-to-serial converter to try it with? (i.e. eliminating the Mega, just to see if the ESP itself is healthy)
4. Does the Mega receive any data at all when the ESP is reset?