Chat freely about anything...

By Mic_Ger
#29459 Hello Guys,
I'm a student in Germany and had done a Project with an ESP8266: It is connectet with an Arduino and collects measuring samples from a wheatstone bridge. It then builds a TCP connection to Thingspeak (May you know that, it is an IoT medium) and sends them to a linked Twitter Account. It works fine in my home WLAN, but since i had to present this in my university there was a problem: The University only has Eduroam, which has 802.x standard and is not compatible with ESP. Then I had the idea to create a mobile Hotspot with my cellphone, a Lumia 930 by Nokia. And there was the Problem. It sometimes connects to it and then lose its connection, but also when its connected, it doesnt sends the data to twitter. The Process is a simple http POST request, where you send a specific server. In my home WLAN it works fine, the data is postet on twitter but it isnt with my cellphone mobile hotspot.
Any Ideas?

Thank you,

Michel

P.S. I've done it also with an Android Device. The Connection was stable, but the data wasnt sent.
By Barnabybear
#29488 Hi, I'm not sure why this is not working for you. I can confirm that it is possable as I ran this project updating thingspeak over an android hot spot in the UK for about 48 Hours without a problem.
I would try to update from your mobile browser as one check.
Code: Select allUpdate your Channel via URL:
https://api.thingspeak.com/update?api_key=YOUR_CHANNEL_API_KEY&field1=7

Swap YOUR_CHANNEL_API_KEY for your API KEY, type into your browser and load page, it should update thingspeak with the value "7" to field "1".
Hope that helps a bit.

Edit: a lot of networks are not alowing hot spots over a 4G connection - if you have 4G revert back to 3G and try it then.
By jcgt
#63010 Hi, I have a similar issue where I can't get my ESP8266 chip to send sensor data to Thingspeak through the iPhones Hotspot. It works fine on a landline router and through an android phone. I can connect the ESP to the iPhone and download information for example NTP time from a server. The iPhone indicates the connection is being used. I have also tried 3G with many different sketches and a number of ESP-12 and -01 modules. The project I would like to build is to be able to collect sensor data from my car so need a mobile AP to send the data to Thingspeak. Other phones and my computer can connect to the iPhone hotspot without issues.

I have also searched the net for help on this but there is not much out there.
Help would be much appreciated, thanks.
By McLeft
#71569 I have the same problem with one provider in Belgium Proximus.
I've tested several phones and OS (windows, androids). via Hotspot Proximus it doesn't work.
Local wifi or Orange hotspots are all fine.
platform thingspeak.
I've tried IP in stead of api.thingspeak.com : not a solution.

any ideas?
thanks.