Chat freely about anything...

By nombrandue
#63070 I am working with my first ESP8266, and had it successfully working, at a baud of 19200 8n1. I have this set up for use with a PIC microcontroller, and after testing it successfully the ESP stopped working. As part of the troubleshooting, I connected it to a Raspberry Pi B+, and tested, which prior worked like a charm. The problem is, now, no matter what baud I use, nothing works.

Resetting the ESP, I get text on the terminal, but it is garbled, and no commands are being seen as sent (AT command set doesn't work, I have tried even the basic AT\r\n, to no avail). I am able to flash the esp Via esptool, but it still didn't solve the issue, and I was expecting it to reset baud back to the default for the version I am using (firmware version1.1, should be 115200). Prior to re-flashing, I was seeing the device connected to my wifi network, and afterwards, nothing, which was expected.

Being rather new to the ESP scene, I haven't found much that seems helpful, as most articles I have found, on the board, and elsewhere all point to using AT commands, which isn't helpful if serial baud doesn't seem to match, even if all valid Baud rates from 1200bps to 115200bps have been tested.

In any baud, the output on the terminal, upon reset is:
Code: Select all�àllÁö�`        cgûÉoðFìóo@cOóño@�O|cOã1cOgñFû9�NãF�oÏF��oàyoNF��gàyg@��`               �O|cO�v�¿�NãcÆûoÏ�N±à  Õa`BBHÑaA@ÝáaáÝqáaøÙQÕaPaaÁaáÁÿÑQÕáÅ�ÁñÁááÅVQÕáHáH�¾aáAAáTqÕAAÑÄqQETQññÑAÁÎQÑÑüÙaqùÙAÝÝñQüÕáaáÕqáaüÑQÕaI�ÁaÁaáÁÿÙQÝáÅ�ÁñÁá  iâ

My ultimate question is, is there any hardware reset to defaults possible, and if not, any good hints on what to try next?
By piersfinlayson
#63082 Have you tried at 74880 baud? I've had problems getting the pi to support this so you may need to use another device.

The ESP8266 will _always_ boot at 74880 baud, and will likely change to another baud rate when the application stored in flash starts - although that's free to use 74880 as well! (This isn't entirely true - if you have a crystal other than 26Mhz on your board it will use a different board rate - 40Mhz = 115200. But this is pretty rare.)

There's no "hardware reset" as such - you've overwritten whatever app that came installed with your module, so there's no way to get this back (unless you stored the entire flash off and can reflash it).