So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By chrisindallas
#64113 Hi, I'm new to the ESP8266, but not new to embedded in general. I picked up an ESP-12E with NodeMCU already installed. I don't know the version, but it is supposed to be current.

I'm using macos and I got the driver installed so I can communicate with NodeMCU using ESPlorer.

At first I tried setting the baud to 9600 like many of the examples and the board itself suggest, but I seen discovered that I don't get anything but junk back over the serial port unless I set it to 115200. Some Google search showed a forum post here that says that is the new normal.

DTR, CTS and RTS are all dim... Open is green.

I don't get anything back about the firmware version etc., but when I release the RST button I get:

Code: Select allCan't autodetect firmware, because proper answer not received (may be unknown firmware).
Please, reset module or continue.
l$ܞ|�$�| � $�p�{����{���b��no�loN���bp��#$`{lp�N� �l  B o�|d l��p ��oN�d��$`�2nol or������l`p�o� r�ܜ��  " o��o䎟��p ��oN� l �2nol Nr�����l`p�o� r�ܜ��$ " o��o$���c��oN�l �Nn $`or���N �l$`r��N �l$`{l��n���oN����roNn� l�br{l�d�l�ے��  � �ld$s$ ���ldN��  � �#�l$ �����N��N�n��$l��b �{bo�br���$`nl�p��$`bl l�����|��nl�|B l $`{l����n�r��n|� ll�{l��{�l�l� $`��r�d��� l ��{�l��� d$`r$���c��b#l�br| �bp ���Blr�$c��o�noƒ�#��o l�l��� � ���l�d�N���b#l䏄b���" d �bp{l{l
Ai-Thinker Technology Co. Ltd.

ready

The "ready" makes me think that I am good to go, but when I click on "Chip Info" or "Chip ID" all I get back is:

Code: Select allready
=node.info()

ERROR

Any suggestions on how to move forward would be great. Should I flash the firmware? I was able to get esptool.py to recognize the part and determine that the device is 4016, etc.

Is it possible that it is stuck in flash mode? I tried booting the part with GPIO0 (D3) tied to 3V3 but I get the same behavior.

Thanks,

Chris