Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Reiner Rosin
#63736 Hi everyone!

I have a problem with flashing some ESP-01 modules which I received yesterday. Here's the details:

• I use Windows 8.1 with FT232 (3.3V) and external power supply (3.3V, 2A)
  • I tested with ESPFlashDownloadTool_v3.4.4.exe, Arduino IDE and Eclipse
  • I use standard configuration for flash: 10K pullup on CH_PD, GPIO0 and RST, button to GND for GPIO0 and RST

This setup workes well with ~10 ESP-01 modules I tested before. With 3 new modules which I purchased new it doesn't work. The behavior of this modules is:

• Modules work well in AT-WIFI-mode (at 115.200 bd), as well with AT commands and with WIFI connections
  • Flashing does not work at all, even readout of module information by ESPFlasgDownloadTool does not work
  • When sending data, TX and RX on FT232 are blinking synchronously

With AT I get this information:
Code: Select allat+GMR
AT version:1.3.0.0(Jul 14 2016 18:54:01)
SDK version:2.0.0(656edbf)
compile time:Jul 19 2016 18:44:44
OK

Can anyone help me with this isue? Is there something like a LOCK fuse in the modules?

Thanks for any help... Reiner
By jsaily
#64444 Did you manage to solve the issue? I received similar modules from eBay yesterday with identical response to AT+GMR and "V3.0" printed on the bottom. They also refuse to be resetted with the standard method. I compared one to the "Ai-cloud inside" ESP-01 I have and the reset line (pin 32) seems to be missing, and the RST pin from header is connected to pin 8 (GPIO16).

You can reset to boot loading mode by switching on power and holding reset at the same time since reset doesn't work. I added a wire between RST and pin 32 in one of the modules and it permits normal reset & flash button operation for boot loading. However, after programming the serial port output is gibberish so there is something wrong clearly. I tried Arduino IDE (own program) and ESP Flash tool (AT-firmware) and both fail to produce anything sensible on serial port. With the "Ai-cloud inside" module no problems at all.

I issued a refund demand on eBay for these, the picture on the ad was for the Ai-cloud version I've been using before.

Maybe someone has a solution for these modules?
By jsaily
#64445 I found a solution for Arduino IDE using these modules! The SPI flash in these ESP-01 modules marked "V3.0" is 8Mbit and it's using SPI-mode DOUT which is not in the standard Arduino IDE for ESP8266.

You need to manually add the DOUT mode like instructed in this post (in the bottom of it):
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/1700

Jussi
By Reiner Rosin
#64447 I did not find any solution better than sending them back, so I unfortuantely can't check if my modules had the same wrong wiring than your's.

I attach a photo of my modules. Do they look same as your's?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.