Chat freely about anything...

By stern0m1
#64956 I to wish for wi-fi direct. I think this is very valuable.
The datasheets mention it supports it, but I have searched high and low and there is no documentation on how to implement. The most I found is over herehttps://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/2343 where it is mentioned that with freertos its possible. I think wifi direct functionality will have to be created, it does not to be part of the sdk's.

I am actively trying to come up with a solution. I will update if come up with anything. Please let me know if you find a solution. I think we need a real experienced low level firmware developer to create this for us. I am willing to pay for it.
By Crimson1989
BobAGI wrote:OK:
We have developed a portable (battery powered) data collection equipment to be used in the field and it has to communicate with an Android tablet used as front end (GUI) for the equipment.
Currently we use a commercial WiFi module we have put on a board of our own and configured to implement a WiFi Access Point to which the tablet connects.
Then our App on the tablet will open a TCP port (2101 I think it is) on the WiFi module to control the equipment and download data from the system. The WiFi module is connected to the equipment using RS232 at 38400 baud. So port 2101 just transfers data between the network and RS232 without doing anything with the passing data. This works OK as it is right now.

The problem here is that all the time our tablet connects to the equipment AP it instantly loses Internet connectivity so the data retrieved cannot be forwarded to the home server for processing.

My hope is that WiFi Direct could be used since by what I have read it implies that the Android device does not lose the Internet connection via mobile broadband in the process.
Can the ESP8266 do this?
If so is there some sample project available to study?

Wifi-Direct should indeed be able to keep the mobile connection (much like you can still browse the Youtube app, while casting content to your Chromecast/AppleTV/Directly to TV.

However, normal behaviour of Android devices would be to terminate the mobile interenet connection, so it could be that it's a settings controlled by the specific app in question.

Depending on your Android version, you might be able to find the following setting:
'Mobile Data Always Active', which might help you out?

stern0m1 wrote:I to wish for wi-fi direct. I think this is very valuable.
The datasheets mention it supports it, but I have searched high and low and there is no documentation on how to implement. The most I found is over herehttps://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/2343 where it is mentioned that with freertos its possible. I think wifi direct functionality will have to be created, it does not to be part of the sdk's.

I am actively trying to come up with a solution. I will update if come up with anything. Please let me know if you find a solution. I think we need a real experienced low level firmware developer to create this for us. I am willing to pay for it.

Hi stern0m1,

I'm also still looking for a solution but I also think we might need a firmware developer for this. I'm willing to pay for it as well.
So, if a developer happens to read this topic and thinks he/she can help out name your price!
By stern0m1
#65091 Hi Crimson1989,
Could you explain your application where you need wifi direct?

I think it may be possible with promiscuous mode, theoretically "sniff" the packets and create your own return packet with wifi_send_pkt_freedom.

If your interested I can try to find a developer to create this for us and will split the cost. I have experience hiring developers from poor countries, they work for very little.

You can contact me privately Hirsch098@gmail.com to discuss further.
By stern0m1
#70727 Hi,
I came to the realization that it's not theoretically currently possible. In promiscuous mode you only get something like 128 bytes from each WiFi packet.
As somewhat of an alternative to WiFi direct I have accomplished simple communication from an Android to the esp with broadcasting an ssid from the Android and listening in promiscuous mode on the esp .
Obviously you can connect with regular WiFi, how ever for my use case regular WiFi wasn't good.

I am interest in further discussion about theoretically accomplishing WiFi direct.
Regards