Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By shift838
#65119 Using the HUZZAH ESP8266 module I have successfully been able to use externally developed firmware for a WiFi Modem that takes most of the standard AT commands like ATDT, ATZ, etc. This project allows me to connect the unit to an older 1980's era computer with current terminal software and connect to telnet BBS'.

I want to hook up external LED's for the red and blue LED as well as external momentary switches so I do not have to open the unit to press them for code updates.

My questions:

1> I believe for the switches for Reset, i just need to connect a momentary to RST and Ground, as well as another momentary for GPIO0 and Ground. I both switches need to be normally open correct ?

2> Can I hook up external LEDs to react exactly as the unit is using the onboard LED's.? I beleive Red is on GPIO0 and blue on GPIO2, but how would I hook it up just positive led leg to each pin and tie negative to ground?
By rudy
#65130 Yes momentary switch to ground will work.

GPIO0 and GPIO2 need to be high in order to run your code. You need to connect the positive end of the leds to 3.3 volts and the negative end goes to the port pins. Then the switches to ground.

Make sure the leds have a series resistor to limit the current. It can be in either the positive or negative side of the led.