Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By davydnorris
#65233 Learn something new every day. You're a legend!

BTW I've made progress on the readonly issue. Looks like they have changed the name of the config variable in crosstool-NG. It's now called CT_PREFIX_DIR_RO instead of CT_INSTALL_DIR_RO so the sed command in the Makefile finds nothing.
By davydnorris
#65234 OK so your patch compiles and builds without error on 6.3.0 - now to try it out.

I've also been talking to one of the crosstool maintainers, who was kind of horrified with our ESP8266 approach to creating a customised config file, but I'm still trying to get a way to run
Code: Select allct_ng menuconfig
in headless mode so that we can automate it from a Makefile.

Having said that, they've come up with quite a few really good points and I think a review of our Makefile and build process is in order:
- sysroot based toolchains for 'bare metal' (ie. Non-OS based) systems were removed in 1.22 because there was unnecessary and incorrect duplication of include and lib structures.
- our current Makefile pollutes the crosstool-NG tree and doesn't completely clean up after itself
- the current xtensa build process patches source code in place, making it impossible to build the same toolchain for different architectures (eg. esp8266 and ESP32) without doing a full clean
- the current toolchain directory format could be changed so that multiple architectures are supported file structure

I'm thinking of having a go at refactoring the Makefile to accommodate this - do you think this is useful?
By jcmvbkbc
davydnorris wrote:- sysroot based toolchains for 'bare metal' (ie. Non-OS based) systems were removed in 1.22 because there was unnecessary and incorrect duplication of include and lib structures.

I'm not sure about that, but I didn't have enough time for a good look at it. My current impression is that it complicates the setup (supporting two configurations: sysrooted and non-sysrooted instead of one) and makes it less flexible (one cannot pass --sysroot option to the components of non-sysrooted toolchain).

davydnorris wrote:- our current Makefile pollutes the crosstool-NG tree and doesn't completely clean up after itself
- the current xtensa build process patches source code in place, making it impossible to build the same toolchain for different architectures (eg. esp8266 and ESP32) without doing a full clean

The crosstool-ng is a throwaway in that process anyway. And from my experience configuration switch works correctly without an explicit full clean.

davydnorris wrote:I'm thinking of having a go at refactoring the Makefile to accommodate this - do you think this is useful?

If that's the esp-open-sdk Makefile then it's probably a good question for Paul.