Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By alex_g
#65351 I realise it's over a year since this question was first posted but for the sake of completeness I would like to add that the rc-switch code mentioned above has been working very well for me too, using the Arduino IDE.

The only thing I found problematic with the given example, is that I had to add a slight delay in the loop (even 50 ms seems OK, I haven't explored it more precisely), otherwise it seems to loop before it can complete a full parse of incoming streams from the transmitters, so all you get is unsorted garbage.

I also find it useful to filter out the cases where mySwitch.getReceivedValue() is zero, as it clears up the display no end. Of course, this data is still useful if you are trying to develop new protocols or use the system as a scanner, but if you are only receiving/reading known protocols it can be a distraction.

Otherwise it works surprisingly well, and I'd love to port it to the Lua/NodeMCU setup at some stage...
By alex_g
#65359 I will add one more observation, which might be of use:

When I tried to use the system with those ultra-cheap super-regen receivers, you know, the ones you see everywhere and are usually paired wit the transmitters, the system simply does not work!
I found that maybe one in a hundred keypresses registers and that's if you make the delay 500ms and then again only for the tri-state type transmitters (2262), not for the regular household alarms/fobs. And, of course, only if the transmitter is physically on top of the receiver.... :lol: Quite simply, these little receivers are NOT fit for purpose.

The other one I am using, a superhet with the four pins on either side and the shielded unit in the middle works acceptably well. Of three units I tried, one was a bit short in range but the other two worked as well as you'd expect. I haven't tried proper measurements yet though. The (good) units I'm using are marked RXB6 (2.0), and I understand you can also get RXB8s, though I have not seen them yet.