Chat freely about anything...

By rudy
#66082 Yes. That is why I recommended Bluetooth LE (Low Energy). The sleep mode on the ESP is good enough if it can be inaccessible for large portions of the time, like on an infrequent external event or periodic wakeup like once per hour.

Or Amazon buttons that are powered up by the user pushing the button. An infrequent even that does not consume significant power until needed. https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Buttons/b?i ... 0667898011
By schufti
#66088 problem is: young developers are used to abundance. Usually all resources are availlable in more than necessary amount: during study they have abundant calculatiom power, abundant storage, abundant network capacity etc ... and in academical environment it is posh to max out every resource possible. So they are never forced to think economically until they first hit reality of market.
There is allmost no reason to transfer values every minute IF it is really necessary to have such frequent measurements at all. Do your frequent measurements, store them until a critical mass (consider blackouts) is reached and transfer them as block. If however a measurment demands immediate reaction, transfer this value to trigger whatever action necessary.
By rudy
schufti wrote:problem is: young developers are used to abundance. ...

I designed one product for a composting toilet. It had couple of buttons to set the timer for the internal sprinkler. A 7 segment LED for status information and programming. It measured a thermistor for temperatures. If there was a fire (or over temperature) the unit would turn on the sprinkler. It had a piezo buzzer for audible feedback. I swept a range of frequencies to give a siren effect. It used the AC line for timing. The Microchip part I used had a total of 512 bytes of rom for the program. Written in assembly language of course. It was a very efficient design as far as the hardware and firmware.

And when I was a boy I had to walk 20 miles to get to school. ;)
By faramon
#66122 hmmm, bluetooth... i just read about 11 year old boy hacked all with bluetooth on some security conference with raspberry pi. I dont want that kid hacked mynodemcu with bluetooth :D