Chat here is you are connecting ESP-xx type modules to existing AVR based Arduino

Moderator: igrr

By tlharv
#66219 Has anyone successfully uploaded a sketch in the Arduino IDE to an ESP8266-07? I'd love to know how you pulled it off.

I'm using the Arduino IDE on a Mac, and have successfully uploaded sketches to an ESP8266-01 through a Sparkfun Beefy3 FTDI {https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13746} (not going through an Arduino Uno board at all; straight from the mac to the ESP). Process works great.

Now I've been trying the same with an ESP8266-07, and after spending several hours on about a dozen sites, I just can't get the wiring right. The funny thing is that when I try to upload, the FTDI RX light and the blue light on the ESP are blinking together, three flashes, pause, then three more flashes. Then I get multiple errors that the ESP prog can't sync. I've verified that RX & TX are connected correctly.

Here's the setup I've been using:

- 5V, 1A external power source going through an LM1117T 3.3V linear voltage regulator to provide power and ground to the breadboard and ESP.
- FTDI used only for TX, RX and connecting to breadboard ground (shared with external 3.3V supply).
- ESP connections:
* VCC directly to breadboard 3.3V
* GND directly to breadboard GND
* EN directly to breadboard GND
* GPIO-15 directly to GND (using a 10k pullup resistor made no difference)
* GPIO-0 directly to GND (via pushbutton, to get it into programming mode)
* TX to FTDI RX
* RX to FTDI TX
- All settings in Arduino IDE (board = generic ESP8266, speed 115K, etc) are identical to those which allow me to upload successfully to the ESP8266-01.

Any ideas? This board is certainly more finicky than the -01.

Thanks!
Tom