So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By gbafamily1
#64754 esp-link defaults to AP (softAP) mode so a WiFi router is not needed. STA mode is possible but is not required.

esptool.py installed with the ESP8266 support for the Arduino IDE running on Linux works fine to Flash esp-link into an Adafruit Huzzah. YMMV if using Win or Mac or other ESP8266 hardware.

How to download and Flash esp-link binary.

https://github.com/jeelabs/esp-link/releases/tag/v2.2.3
By gbafamily1
edvwhite wrote:Awesome! This looks like what I think I want. As I said, I haven't done any Arduino at all, so at this point the real noob questions begin. I downloaded/installed the Arduino IDE (V 1.8.2). I modified the SSID and password - that's all. I tried compiling (Ctrl+R) and got an error message about not finding ESP8266wifi.h

The next step is to install the ESP8266 board support package.

https://github.com/esp8266/arduino#inst ... ds-manager

After that set the board type to match your ESP8266 board. I used an Adafruit Huzzah (not feather).
By splabber
edvwhite wrote:
gbafamily1 wrote:
The next step is to install the ESP8266 board support package.

https://github.com/esp8266/arduino#inst ... ds-manager

After that set the board type to match your ESP8266 board. I used an Adafruit Huzzah (not feather).

My great apologies for being away from this for a while. Life sometimes interferes with the righteous pursuit of hobbies - I hate that.

I did install the board support and ... long version is not important. Short version is YOU ROCK !!

I got it up and working and went out to the telescope site today to try it, works perfectly. MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP and patience.

Ed

I have been searching for a solution to my problem and I was encouraged when I came across your post. The situation is almost identical, just substitute "sensor" for "telescope mount". In fact, mine is even simpler as the sensor puts out readings on RS-232 but it never receives data. There is an existing iPad app which receives the readings over WiFi and displays them. I just need to make a new "bridge" to replace one that is damaged and can't be repaired. I know the ssid, pw, ip addr and port so it should be easy. When the system was working, it was possible to connect with a Putty Telnet session.

I'm very comfortable with hardware and I can flash and run my module. I'm not so good when it comes to the programming and compiling environment. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind sharing the steps you took to arrive at a solution?

Thanks in advance.
By splabber
edvwhite wrote:Good Luck, if you have any questions or problems, post them. I'm sure there are others who can help better than I but I will try to remember what I did.

Ed

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I worked through the process and the compile took more that 10 minutes which seems a really long time in my limited experience. Anyway, no errors and a successful upload to my ESP. It basically works but there is some problem with the formatting of the data, I don't know how much data your telescope puts out but my sensor sends an ASCII screen of 80 characters x 25 lines so 2KB, 3 times a second at 115200 baud. If I connect the sensor directly to my COM port, I get a nice steady screen with only the values changing. Through the bridge, the screen formatting is broken up so it's not usable. I think there might be a data framing or packet size issue so that is what I am looking into. From your posts, it appears you did not have any issues like this?

Thanks,
splabber