So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By ruicosta
#66321 I everyone, I'm a newbie on both, Arduino and ESP8266.
I'm an experienced programmer (ASP.NET/C#) this world is completely new to me.
I'm graduating and I have a month to develop a project where I should put an Arduino communicating with an Android smartphone.

I will have to simulate a "connected house" sending from Arduino to smartphone, using the ESP8266, information gathered from several sensors (movement, temperature, humidity, doors opening...).

Also, I will have to send from Android to arduino, also using the ESP8266, several commands (open doors, turn lights on/off, control a fan speed, simulating an AC device, turn off an alarm...)

I was advice to use websockets.
I would like to know if you agree and where I can find a working example of communication, using this technique, between Android and arduino.
I just need an example about the communication, I think I can handle the rest.

I have already made a tiny project of serial communication over bluetooth with an HC-05 but with ESP8266 I'm finding so many things that I'm lost.

Thank you all
By QuickFix
#66402 As I see it: drop the Arduino-board entirely and directly use the ESP8266 (you can still use the Arduino IDE and platform for that though).
There are lots of ready to use sketches for the ESP that use all kinds of sensors en relays/switches and what not.

Join all of these together in a "Network" and read them out using a web application in ASP.Net or just HTML served by the ESP's in your "Network".
Or have a look at the vast list of examples using MQTT

Although I have to agree with atexit8 that only a month time to work on it isn't much, specially if you're a total n00b. :?