Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By ajinkya.k
#66449 please lead me here, ESP 8266 is getting heated after implementing in the circuit.
things i am using

Arduino ide with ESP 8266 library installed
temprature i read is within range ( 40-55) variable
cycle i observed is : first its legs get heat, then its antenna, and finally it's Processor.
is it the firmware issue? or hardware issue ? i am stuck here
By QuickFix
#66470 An ESP is a processor running on 80MHz, so like every controler it will get warm: as I understand 40-60 degrees C isn't odd and you don't have to be afraid things will melt. ;)

If you're not comfortable with it, you can always glue/stick a heatsink on it (and a fan if you wish).
Or, if possible, let it sleep every once in a while.
By rudy
#66476 You have not provided details about what you have connected to the pins. Are you able to measure the current used by the ESP? Why are you calling it an issue? What kind of temperatures are you expecting?
By ajinkya.k
#66507 i have connected pull ups to tx and rx pins
which is interfaced to atmega8 SMD controller
and atmega controls the relays.

i am using 5V 1Amp SMPS supply to contol both things including relays connected
readings i have obsereved : when connected all relays and powered on complete kit consums current nearly 800-980 mA

if i only connect esp with atmega8 without any relay then it consumes 90 mA
here only atmega connected consumes 20-25 mA

I assuming that either ESP is not getting power properly or any issue in smps itself

i have implemented deep sleep but drawback is it restarts the complete program which causes loss of configurations

now im wondering if there is any method which i can use to lower power consumtion of esp either by reduing power of RF or any other method. I can no tdirectly make ESP shut for sleeping , it has to be online through out day , becasue for my hom eautomation task it has to be onlin for long day

any suggestions?

temprature noted is 44 C but as time oasses it increased to 55 C. ???