The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By rudy
#67531 You still can have your own server with MQTT. It is just a way to easily get a connection for your devices or into your devices. You also can run your own MQTT broker on site and have that same computer be your web server. There are a number of options on how you can want the system designed.
By rudy
#67558 Unlike the previous poster, I am not a programmer. I am a hardware designer. I have been designing electronic devices for over 30 years. I do the hardware design, possibly some test code, but then the hardware goes to the programmers. I work closely with them on a project. I see what it takes to get this stuff working. And now I am taking a stab at programming my own home system. I have done a lot of research. A lot of experimentation with this platform. Previously I had been also working with the Arduino platform as it is an easy entry point for getting things done. And there is a large code base to draw from. (some good, some not so good)

I want a system that will be done my way. But I sure as hell will take advantage of good work done by others. Doing everything from scratch is too much work for no good reason. At best you might be able to come close to what others have already perfected.