Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By djpeterlewis
#68189 Hi All

I have a problem with setting up this module on the Arduino IDE

I have installed all the ESP boards but on the list it does not show the ESP8266 Wroom -02 , I have tried many of them but they all fail on opening the comm port.

I am using the FTD1232 USB to RS232 converter sitting at 3.3v

I have a 3A Power supply 5v with
High Quality 5V to 3.3V For DC-DC Step-Down Power Supply Buck Module AMS1117 LDO 800MA

The Pinouts I have connected are
3V3 = 3.3v
Gnd = Ground
EN = 10k resistor to +3.3
IO15 = GND
IO00 = GND (For Programming) then disconnect for running
TX > RX on Serial Module
RX > TX on serial module

Running Windows 10
ARDUINO IDE 1.7.3
ESP8266 Addon ver 2.3.0

I have tried one of the ESP boards but have 39 left that I purchased. Before I try another one I just wanted to check if I am doing something wrong.

Thank you in Advance.
By QuickFix
#68231 It could be any kind of problem, but most of the time it is just an incorrectly connected module.

First things first: make sure you can communicate with it.
  1. Insert the USB -> RS232 convertor (without anything else attached), let your OS install the driver (if needed) and make a note of its COM-port
  2. Start Arduino IDE
  3. Go to: "Tools" -> "Port" and select the COM-port of your USB->RS232 convertor (from step 1)
  4. Go to: "Tools: -> "Serial Monitor": a new window should open (the monitor)
  5. In the monitor window set the speed (at the bottom-right corner) to "74880 baud"
  6. Connect your WROOM like this to your USB -> RS232 convertor:
  7. In the monitor, you should see something similar to this:
    Code: Select all ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
    tail 8
    chksum 0x2d
    csum 0x2d
    v00000000

You might need to have to reset your board (if it was already powered up)
  8. If you see above (similar) text, without any lines saying "chksum err", the board and firmware *should* be ok

Assuming WROOM boards also come with NonOS SDK firmware pre-installed (I don't know, since I don't own one), you *should* be able to test some AT-commands
  1. Set the speed of your monitor (bottom-right corner) to "115200 baud" and reset the board (using the RESET-button or by cycling the power)
  2. Wait a couple of seconds, to be sure the board has fully booted
  3. Type "AT" (without the quotes) in the edit-window at the top of the monitor window, followed by a press on the "Send"-button
  4. If all's well, you should be greeted with an "OK" reply.
  5. You can try some other commands, using this page as a reference

When the first tests are succesfull, you should be able to upload a sketch using the Arduino IDE.
  1. Make sure you've selected "Tools" -> "Board:" -> "Generic ESP8266 Module"
  2. Set the upload speed, in "Tools" -> "Upload speed:" to a low speed (just to be sure for this test), like 9600
  3. On your WROOM press and hold the PROG-button and press and release the RESET-button; after that you can release the PROG-button again.
  4. Now upload the sketch using "Sketch" - "Upload"
In theory, that should be all. ;)
By djpeterlewis
QuickFix wrote:It could be any kind of problem, but most of the time it is just an incorrectly connected module.

First things first: make sure you can communicate with it.
  1. Insert the USB -> RS232 convertor (without anything else attached), let your OS install the driver (if needed) and make a note of its COM-port
  2. Start Arduino IDE
  3. Go to: "Tools" -> "Port" and select the COM-port of your USB->RS232 convertor (from step 1)
  4. Go to: "Tools: -> "Serial Monitor": a new window should open (the monitor)
  5. In the monitor window set the speed (at the bottom-right corner) to "74880 baud"
  6. Connect your WROOM like this to your USB -> RS232 convertor:
  7. In the monitor, you should see something similar to this:
    Code: Select all ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
    tail 8
    chksum 0x2d
    csum 0x2d
    v00000000

You might need to have to reset your board (if it was already powered up)
  8. If you see above (similar) text, without any lines saying "chksum err", the board and firmware *should* be ok

Assuming WROOM boards also come with NonOS SDK firmware pre-installed (I don't know, since I don't own one), you *should* be able to test some AT-commands
  1. Set the speed of your monitor (bottom-right corner) to "115200 baud" and reset the board (using the RESET-button or by cycling the power)
  2. Wait a couple of seconds, to be sure the board has fully booted
  3. Type "AT" (without the quotes) in the edit-window at the top of the monitor window, followed by a press on the "Send"-button
  4. If all's well, you should be greeted with an "OK" reply.
  5. You can try some other commands, using this page as a reference

When the first tests are succesfull, you should be able to upload a sketch using the Arduino IDE.
  1. Make sure you've selected "Tools" -> "Board:" -> "Generic ESP8266 Module"
  2. Set the upload speed, in "Tools" -> "Upload speed:" to a low speed (just to be sure for this test), like 9600
  3. On your WROOM press and hold the PROG-button and press and release the RESET-button; after that you can release the PROG-button again.
  4. Now upload the sketch using "Sketch" - "Upload"
In theory, that should be all. ;)

Hi I tried this as that was the exact Circuit diagram that I found.
It did not work.

So What I tried was IO2 to +3.3v and that put it into the UART upload mode and then it worked

Thank you