Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Bill Weis
#68473 I am working on a solution which requires I drive 4 relays. I am using "Makerfocus ESP8266 Module ESP-12E NodeMcu LUA WIFI Internet New Version Development Board" in my lab and all works well except the development chip seems to go to sleep if I leave it running for a few hours. I am trying to sort out the root cause. Since I am new to this IoT stuff, do development chips like the NodeMcu ESP8266 E12 automatically go to sleep after a few hours? (if so, using them in a production application would not be recommended) :-)
By btidey
#68506 Sleep modes (light and deep) are set by the application so are under your control. There is nothing intrinsic in the chip to make it sleep automatically by itself. I have lots of ESP-12F modules deployed which have been running for many months continuously without any attention.

You need to ascertain first whether it is just becoming unresponsive for some other reason. In the lab having debug transmitted regularly on serial may help determine what is going on.