Place to put your Basic demos and examples

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Electroguard
#68546 Some suggestions Edi,

If you are having problems with different radar modules, shelve them, and order the same as mine - which I know work, so will eliminate a big variable and question mark. You may be loath to abandon your original investment, but at less than a quid each and free postage the new ones are not going to break the bank.

I have only tinkered with my radar sensors in a haphazard evaluation manner, sometimes even sticking the radar sensor directly to the wemos device using duct tape! If it works for me in that situation, your lab environment should be a doddle for it.

I've always supplied 5v to the sensor from the esp modules usb 5v, so perhaps avoid adding external bench PSU clutter and associated wiring for the moment. Try to reliably reproduce my minimal setup, then fine-tune it from there. Ever since mmiscool mentioning that the esp pins are 5v tolerant I haven't bothered level-matching the input, and never had any problem because of it.

I've always tested the radar modules using the mobile phone connected directly to the esp device in AP mode, so no router or network. But I have a router within 1m of my desk, and have never been aware of any problems caused to anything when running the radar sensors on the desktop, sometimes overnight.

So bypass your router initially - run the esp device in AP mode and connect to it directly from your mobile... which will make problems with router disconnection irrelevent. You can still monitor your router connection via another device (eg: computer) to see if your router is still disconnecting when using the sensor. If so, then the problem is a temperamental router, rather than the radar sensors.

Hopefully one or more of those suggestions will resolve your problem, so please let us know what eventually does the trick.
By Edi
#68611 @Electroguard: Today I received one of the same modules you're using. And indeed: They work!
And the're much better then my old one!

I also received a 5.8 GHz module today. It also works!

One problem still exists: The ESPs WLAN is sometimes disturbed. Even without any Radar. It's like I said: Even switching on my router disturbs a standing connection between ESP and Smartphone and I blame the ESP for that.
I think my stability problems are caused by neighbours WLAN devices. The ESP shoult ignore that, but he doesn't

I'm happy because the new modules don't disturb the ESP any longer. But inspite of that, the ESP runs not stable enought.
Also the new modules are only usable for demonstration devices, but not for the final product, because of FCC regulations.
These cheap modules contain only a non-stabilisated oscillator. That doesn't meet the specs.
For hobby-uses they will do, but not for a commercial product.

@forlotto: Off course I tryed to use shields to get away these influences. But that didn't help
I also tryed differnt angles for the montage of the radar and the ESP. With no success.

Because router:
I'm always using AP-mode only. Then connecting to one smartphone and nothing else.
But switching on the router disturbs the connection. This shouldn't happen, but it does.

Because making Basic better and business:
I can't programm in "C". So it is impossible for me to make the Basic better. That's Michael's task.
I run a very small business with much money problems. So I can't waste too much time for hunting strange bugs. I need working components. If the ESP8266 makes too much trouble (and he does!) then I need to switch to another WLAN-module that works better.
Hopefully the ESP32 will do the job ...
If no, or if it occurs to be impossible to program it in ESPBasic, then I need to pay for an external "C" programmer for my current project. Only problem is: I couldn't pay him ... :-(
So I really hope, Michael works on our beloved Basic to make it better and running on the ESP32!
If I could, I would support Michael in any way, but first I need success with my project.

I ask myself, why Michael doesn't make a Kickstarter project to collect money for further development?
I think, he would deserve it, to get much much money for his great Basic!