So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By DaveApples
#68634 Greetings to everyone,
yesterday I bought the ESP8266 12E node mcu board and to be honest I don't want to use a new language like Lua or Arduino ide so I'm tryng to download the latest espressif firmware into the ESP.
I was able to compile the SDK, my configuration is non-os SDK and non-FOTA, but I found a bin file called master_device_key.bin, It seems to be connected with cloud updating. Is It needed? how can I don't download into the flash memory without problems? And also I have a nodemcu board, can I download the espressif firmware into it or I'm going to have issues with the circuit board?
By QuickFix
#68637 To start with your last question (any issues with your board using other firmware): all ESP's are (somewhat) created equal.
There are minor differences in pin assignments: the A0 (ADC) pin for instance of a NoceMCU is connected to resistors, so you can't use it to measure the internal voltage of the ESP anymore (for that the A0-pin needs to be floating).
On some other boards the ADC-pin is connected to an LDR, so you have to modify/remove that circuitry.

But that all shouldn't restrict you in using different firmware on other boards.

Do you have any experience in programming?
Arduino is actually just C++ you know. :idea: