So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By gelfling6
QuickFix wrote:Never knew about that trick, I always used [CTRL]+M followed by [CTRL]+J to enter CR/LF.

Will try your suggestion, when I'm using an ESP in AT-mode again: thanks. ;)

When using the Arduino IDE , as the terminal, always make sure the EOL (End Of Line) is set as CRLF (AKA Ctrl-M Ctrl-J (sent as &H0D0A ) I still haven't figured how to do it with Putty , or any other terminal program... Working on both Win-64 & Linux-64 platforms).. Someone mentioned awhile back, a good way to identify the two different ESP8266-01 (AKA ESP-01) modules, were a blue PC-Board (the 512K/4Mbit) & Black PC-Board (1M/8Mbit) I've got 4 of these 1M modules, at present 2 are NodeMCU 2.0.0, One AT 1.9.5, and One presently Bricked (might've overloaded the Serial I/O @ +5V.. 8266 chip itself runs extremely hot at 3.3V power, and sometimes shuts-down. Awaiting a new one arriving the 18th)
By btidey
#68975 I use realterm instead of putty for serial development.

Advantages for me are
Can set CRLF as default on ENTER
Easy to capture session data
Can control the DTR pin explicitly.

The last is important for me as I use the Arduino pulling that low during serial upload to automatically put into flash mode. Putty always drives it low making it difficult to get into normal run mode. With realterm I can tell it to keep DTR inactive (high) so that it goes into run mode.
By gelfling6
#69335 I'm still tinkering with the -01 running NodeMCU, sounds like a great idea with the DTR line.. haven't gotten that far with using other than the RX/TX pins of the FTDI adapter. (already, as I mentioned before, awaiting one replacement.. the FTDI with the slide switch +3.3/+5, and the SPI pins, (Example: https://i.stack.imgur.com/CjEt6.jpg) seems to push +5V signal out the RX/TX pins, and I think that was how I fried the Now inactive 8266-01 I have.