Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By jas
#70244 I have 4 new SONOFF's.
I've had them about a year but just got round to opening them up and flashing custom firmware.
Each sonoff module also has the 433.92MHz radio for a hand held remote.
Other than that they are just the basic module.

I'm having problems loading *any* sketch onto these modules.
I have soldered headers onto the 3v3, RX,TX and GND for each of the modules, so I can be certain that I have as good a connection to the FTDI USB programer as I can get.

I'm using 3.3v not 5v.

I have 3 different FTDI's and have tried each one with most of the modules; no luck.

I have also tried using the serial chip on the Arduino Uno as a programer by connecting Reset to ground on the Arduino and then connecting the 3V3, GND, TX and RX pins to the SONOFF. This didn't work either.

I make sure to ground GPIO0 before connecting 3V3 each time, so that the ESP8266 goes into programing mode.

I've tried switching TX and RX round. Didn't work.

I can always see the FTDI (or Arduino Uno) programmer port in the Adruino IDE under
menu -> Tools -> Port

Settings I am using are "Generic ESP8266" and others as shown in image attachment.

I can't even get the sketch to begin uploading.

Sketch compiles just fine.

Error I see every time, regardless of which SONOFF module I try to program, or settings selected is

Sketch uses 248967 bytes (25%) of program storage space. Maximum is 958448 bytes.
Global variables use 35620 bytes (43%) of dynamic memory, leaving 46300 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 81920 bytes.
warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

Done loads of googling and nothing obvious.

Ideas?

ps I'm able to upload the sketch I'm using onto a stand alone ESP8266-01 with no trouble at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.