Chat freely about anything...

By bojankoce
#70849 Hello guys,

I need to use ESP-12S version in my future project. Datasheet says the power supply of ESP-12S is in range of 3.0V to 3.6V.

ESP-12S should be supplied with battery together with the rest of electronics. Can you guys recommend me some battery from your experience?

I intend to use ER14505M model. However, its nominal voltage is 3.6V which is the upper limit of ESP8266. Am I safe to power ESP-12S directly from that battery or it is better to use some kind of LDO 3.3V regulator?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

Sincerely,
Bojan.
By rudy
#70850 That battery has a very flat voltage. Based on the spec sheet you should be able to run the ESP8266 directly from the battery. No need for a regulator.

Then comes the question of capacity. How long you need it to work.
By bojankoce
#70876 Hey rudy,

Thanks for your message. Capacity of ER14505M battery is about 2.2Ah. I'm thinking to apply power gating technique and to cut off the power from esp8266 when I don't need it and put the micro-controller into deep sleep mode (2uA of current consumption). This way, ER14505M could last for a few years without a problem.

Thanks once again,
Bojan.
By btidey
#70878 That battery is very good match for direct powering as mentioned and has good power density.

A downside would be if you were using deep sleep for much of the time.

The deep sleep current is quite dependent on the supply voltage

https://forum.makehackvoid.com/t/esp826 ... ent/286/41

So operating at 3.6V uses 4 times more deep sleep current than a 3.3V powered system.

One can also get very low power LDO regulators (e.g. XC6203) which would give 3.3V from LiPo batteries. I use that method as I wanted to be able to recharge.