So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By electrocurious
philbowles wrote:
PeteKnight wrote:So you’re using a 5v bulb?

Pete.

I think that an "s" as in Ps for power supply....:)

Ignore that :D

Let's not critique my writing / drawing skills, why do you think I like electrronic communication so much :D
By electrocurious
Narfel wrote:Here is a video about that very topic with explanation of the needed converters to drop the voltage down to the different levels you need. If you are just starting (like me) its probably wise to practise with something less deadly than mains, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB8W2AgDMAY

Thanks for the link Narfel I'll watch the video before deciding on my approach.
By PeteKnight
electrocurious wrote:
philbowles wrote:
PeteKnight wrote:So you’re using a 5v bulb?

Pete.

I think that an "s" as in Ps for power supply....:)

Ignore that :D

Let's not critique my writing / drawing skills, why do you think I like electrronic communication so much :D

Your response hasn’t answered my question - is the bulb powered by 5v?
If it is then you don’t need the separate 3.3 and 5v outputs from the power supply if you use a Wemos/NodeMCU ESP8266 Device, as these can be powered by 5v.

Pete.
By Narfel
#71241 Given that this is the Newbie Corner another point of view while we're in the dark if the bulb (i'm sorry) is 5V or not. For the newcomer (totally not happened to me, of course, i would never.... :roll: ) the physical separation of mains and the circuit is not as immediately clear as it appears. The voltage has to be dropped down, fed to the individual components AND mains of course has to continue to go to the (i assume) mains consuming device. I know that sounds ridiculous and i'm not insinuating OP thought that, its just a mental roadblock i totally not remember having had ever 8-)
If I were to guess why anyone would think that it's a leftover from the expectation that a electronic device is an end point, that you are closing a circuit sounds easy on paper but doesn't immediately transfer. You think you plug it in the wall and that's it. Again, not insinuating anything, it's just probably reasoning that is so far removed from experienced peoples' way of thinking that it actually may help someone. Or make me look stupid. That's fine too :lol: