So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By mrtc
#72003 Thankyou all for the advice so far. I've been looking at the power. From what I can see, I'm doing everything right except for running the power off the FDTI power supply. I'm getting a read of 3.28v across the pins & I've got a well sized capacitor so would have thought power would be ok.

The only other power supply that I had to hand was an Adafruit Huzzah Feather which I presume would do the job as good as anything else?

I'll look up the circuit. I've been trying different options & I've probably gone down a bit of a rabbit hole.
By trackerj
#72009 Your connection is not exactly what do you need for proper programming the ESP8266 module.

For a basic configuration with Reset and Programming buttons, take a look at the nEXT Evo board schematics

If you want a more advanced configuration, with Auto-reset capabilities, maybe also isolated interface to protect your computer USB ports, etc, look also at the USBProg schematic

You definitely need also a proper 3.3Vcc power supply, the 3.3Vcc provided by the FT232 is not powerful enough.