Chat freely about anything...

By Cougar281
#72002 I just got playing with the ESP8266 devices, and they're great - they basically seem to be everything the arduinos are plus Wifi and a more powerful processor.

I've been working with an Adafruit Feather Huzzah, and I have several code projects that are working perfectly on that. I also have a few 'generic' ESP8266 NodeMCU devices, apparently made by 'Makerfocus' that I got off Amazon. These Makerfocus devices program fine, they appear to take the code without issue, but after taking the programming, nothing happens - I don't get any serial output and the function (taking temperature readings and reporting them back to a web server) does not run.

Any thoughts why it works fine on the Feather, but on the other devices, nothing? Even if I had the sensors incorrectly connected, I should still see *something* on the serial output if it's running. Sicne they are both ESP-12 devices, shouldn't the code be exactly the same?
By gdsports
#72045 NodeMCU boards are great and can be used with the Arduino IDE. But the board labels are misleading. Try disconnecting everything except the USB cable and see if the NodeMCU boots up properly.

Note in the pin map, the pin labelled D0 is not GPIO0. It is actually GPIO16. Hookup external devices using the GPIO number, not the board label.

https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-devkit-v1.0#pin-map
By Cougar281
#72058 Yes, tried that. After flashing my code, I only get a handful of gibberish characters on the serial monitor (baud rate is correct).

What I should get on bootup, if nothing is connected with this code is this:

Code: Select allConnecting to IoT
WiFi connected
IP address:
X.X.X.X

After which, without any sensors, it'll indicate a failure.

So far, for whatever reason, only the Adafruit devices (Feather Huzzah and Huzzah breakout) and these much smaller 8 pin variants that I have are working as expected. These other 'MakerFocus' devices don't seem to want to play nice.
By Cougar281
#72090 I actually figured it out in the time between my last post and it was finally approved for posting this morning :/ - apparently, the Adafruit Feather can take QIO mode or DIO mode programming (Guides I saw out there said to set it up as QIO, so that's what I had been using. But after some playing around, I discovered that these other nodes only seem to like DIO mode. They appear to take the flash in QIO mode with no errors reported, but they don't work. Flashed my code in DIO mode and they work like champs.