Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By andre_teprom
rudy wrote:Why do you have such high expectations of a framework whose's goal is simplicity so that non-programmers can easily get their feet wet. Has anyone told you that you can do anything you dream of with the Arduino platform? (without having to add your own support routines)

The Arduino platform is fantastic, but it is not appropriate for everyone. You probably should be programming with an RTOS, then you probably will not face the limitations you have with Arduino.

If you took a look at the Espressif SDK you will realize that even for the NO-RTOS version the most trivial task examples have absurdly complex code, such as blending information that should be restricted to the linker. Like any old firmware programmer I've always hated the "toy-oriented" Arduino platform but the ESP8266 case was the only exception granted, and for that reason, given all I've ever achieved, I do not consider that attempt objectionable.
By tele_player
#73278 True, the Arduino platform does many things which attempt to make things easier for beginners, and can seem odd to those of us with experience.

But in this case, it seems to me you’re making assumptions about its unsuitability for this task which are incorrect. It should only take an experienced programmer minutes to put together a program to test this.
By btidey
#73287 The ESP8266 uart can generate an interrupt on both rx and tx of characters and it is then up to the isr to determine what to do.

As I understand it the Arduino implementation does use this mechanism at leaston the receive side to place the characters in a FIFO buffer where they be subsequently checked and extracted by the foreground task. That is a fairly sensible strategy and keeps the isr short which is normally a good thing.
By andre_teprom
tele_player wrote:It should only take an experienced programmer minutes to put together a program to test this.

I'm not so familiar with the development in with the SDK Espressif for Arduino, and I would admit that I'm not willing to go further, the code structure is quite confusing even for a blinking LED project, therefore differently from other C compilers, implementing such functionality ( namelly, serial interrupt handling for individual received byte ) did not seem so trivial to me; In fact, if it were, I believe that such feature would already have been published somewhere. Thanks again for your replies, but I would appreciate if instead of disapprove my search, if you put the focus on finding a link for the solution - if it exists, otherwise, nothing to do.