So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By yaconsult
#74033 I didn't expect it to disconnect either - that's why I asked! There is no other circuitry connected yet. I tried using a different usb port on the laptop and it didn't make any difference.

I have not been able to get ESPlorer to connect to the board when running it on Fedora 27. It doesn't see the ESP8266 even though the speed and port are correct. I don't see any SELinux errors. I tried with both openjdk and Sun java.

But the utilities like esptool, ampy, screen, etc. have no trouble connecting to the board.

I figured out one way to see the boot messages is to do a soft reset using Ctrl-D and the help() function was also useful in seeing some startup info. So soft reset via software does not disconnect the screen session but hard reset using the reset button does.

I tried using pycharm and it can open a python shell on the ESP but I couldn't figure out how to get it to do any more than that. Pushing the hardware reset button on the ESP also causes the terminal window in pycharm to close.

But the board is working. I can enter python code and I can connect to the network so the board does seem fuctional.