So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By moose4621
#74176 Out of desperation I tried connecting the GPS Tx to the wemos D1 mini Rx(IO3) without the logic level converter and now everything works. :D

But according to what I have read, all inputs on the D1 mini are NOT 5v tolerant so I am wary of continuing with this set up.

It seems strange that while using software.serial and IO13 for the gps serial via the logic level converter I got valid data but by simply swapping IO13 to IO3 I could not get any data through unless I remove the logic level converter.

Can anyone confirm whether IO3 is/is not 5v tolerant?
By rudy
It seems strange that while using software.serial and IO13 for the gps serial via the logic level converter I got valid data but by simply swapping IO13 to IO3 I could not get any data through unless I remove the logic level converter.

Some logic level converters do not work well under all conditions. Converter chips have less problems than level converters based on transistor/mosfets.

Out of desperation I tried connecting the GPS Tx to the wemos D1 mini Rx(IO3) without the logic level converter and now everything works.

If the wemos has a USB to serial converter, and you have not disabled it, then it would be interfering with the level converter.
By moose4621
#74183 Thanks for your reply Rudy.

What you have said makes a lot of sense. It has a CH340G in this version.

What type of converter chips are you referring to?

So I guess the question remains. Is IO3 5v tolerable and if not, what would be the best way to regulate the serial input to 3.3v.