A place users can post their projects. If you have a small project and would like your own dedicated place to post and have others chat about it then this is your spot.

By tytower
#20559 It seems to have other stuff running , but I'm no expert. Lots of stuff going on that does not happen on Arduinos for instance . Also when loaded a sketch shows as filling 48% of available memory and this chip at 512KB has 16 times more memory than an ATMega328P at 32KB . So I figure something else is going up .It may just be related to the ESP8266/Arduino library loading a lot of stuff on . It takes forever to load the hex even though the chip is running 5 times faster.
By FlyingHacker
#20563 So I found that some of my original issue was not waiting enough time when bringing the latch low and high on the shift registers. Adding some delayMicroseconds() calls in there fixed most of it.

I do still see some multiplexing glitches when connecting the the Wifi (I now added Wifi), and when web server requests are handled. It now has a web server that essentially turns this 14 segment display module into a remote alpha numeric ticker tape display. I can feed it data from a browser (or more usefully from curl on the command line of a Linux box) to feed the display regular or emergent display data. Pretty slick and small, even if it does need a lot of wires 3 shift registers and a ULN2803 (or 2800 would work).

I hope to do a write up and or video on it as an example. It's not terribly complex, but makes a nice display module to handle the logic and heavy data processing or scripting on a PC or Pi, etc. and then display the data remotely where ever you need it