A place users can post their projects. If you have a small project and would like your own dedicated place to post and have others chat about it then this is your spot.

By spy king
#9878 The need is based on the fact that I am to lazy to turn on my Hifi setup and sometimes forget to turn it off which isn't to good for my tube amp.
The switch idea isn't something radically new, but I would like to make this a little more self contained.

Tentative parts list.
I would like to go all out and design a board, but this would probably be cheaper as it's only one off.

I would like to plug all these together, and stuff it into an power switch

Looking forward to inputs on what you guys think!
By trackerj
spy king wrote:The need is based on the fact that I am to lazy to turn on my Hifi setup and sometimes forget to turn it off which isn't to good for my tube amp.
The switch idea isn't something radically new, but I would like to make this a little more self contained.

Tentative parts list.
I would like to go all out and design a board, but this would probably be cheaper as it's only one off.

I would like to plug all these together, and stuff it into an power switch

Looking forward to inputs on what you guys think!

First a WARNING!! You will play with LIVE MAINS!! Deadly zone!!

Easiest way to do it, is to use a MOC optocoupler + Triac combination.
Usually for ON-OFF only jobs (no dimming required) I use MOC3041 for optocoupler (Zero voltage crossing one) and a good quality Triac, sized by the power needs or as big as available. 25A one usually fits mostly of the needs in such a project like yours, with decent power disipation. For standard lighting, 8A is 99% of the times enough.

BT1XX class from NXP never dissapointed. Be sure they are genuine, from a trustable source. LIVE MAINS Switching!!
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/BT137-600.pdf
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/MO/MOC3043M.pdf

Don't know how to directly upload a picture here (or if is possible), to show you such a module. Be carefully also to the PCB if you design it yourself. LIVE MAINS Switching!!

If is interesest on the subject I can elaborate more :)
By trackerj
uhrheber wrote:Use a relay. They are much easier to use than triacs and nearly indestructible.

A RELAY is nearly indestructible when comparing with a TRIAC ?? This is a new one...I'm more than happy to hear your arguments. It is also better than a SSR?