The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By Cheeki Breeki
#91145 Hello community,
I would like to ask if there is a way to make some kind of access point on ESP and then whoever connects to it will be able to send files to other people on that AP trough some custom site.

1. making AP is easy
2. making site is easy
3. the rest is unknown to me :lol:

So, do you think it is possible? (sorry for my bad english, not a native speaker)
By QuickFix
#91169 It shouldn't be a real problem; it actually depends on what you want and need.

Please note that:
  • By default the ESP8266 can only handle 4 concurrent connections at a time
  • The internal memory (using SPIFFS or LittleFS) is limited, so you might want to resort to an external SD-interface/card for the actual data (not sure what the actual max addressable SD size and file size is with current libraries) if the files are going to be large
  • The transfer speed of the ESP8266 is limited; not a problem with small files, but if you want to share video clips or music files it will be an unsatisfying experience
It might be a nice idea to try out some example sketches yourself, to get a gasp of what might be needed.
If you will be using the Arduino IDE, I believe the "FSBrowser" example ("File" -> "Examples" -> "ESP8266WebServer" -> "FSBrowser") might be nice code to start off with (please note: i have only looked a bit at the code to see if it somewhat matches what you're searching for; I haven't used it myself, so I might be wrong).

I have no experience with other environments, so can't comment on those, but I'm sure it can be done with those as well.