The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By bask185
#92424 Hello,

I have a project in my mind which I want to work out in the future. I want to make a network of 4 or 5 wemos d1 modules. I am not entirely sure how I should set up this network.

The current masterplan is that one of the modules (the one which is powered first) looks for a certain SSID, if the device cannot find that SSID, it is to set up an AP with that same SSID for all other devices. The AP unit should also host a server and all other devices should log in as clients.

My questions:

- will this work?
- are the better ways to do this? (and if so, how? )
- how long would it take for a wemos d1 to boot (considering it still has it's bootloader) and check for an active SSID and setup the AP if that SSID is not yet present?
- what would the effective range of these modules would be?

Background information.

For a single track model railway I want to make a wireless token system, which is similar to the RETB system. The idea of this system is that only one person can have one of four available tokens at all times. If one person posses a certain token, no other person can posses that same token. With a token a user is allowed to drive his train into a specific section of tracks. This token system is to make sure that only 1 train may enter this section of tracks. If a user drives out of the section of tracks, he is to press the same button again to return the token.

I want to make 4 or 5 handheld wireless devices which each has 4 buttons which can be red and green (and thus also yellow) illuminated. When the system is powered on, and no tokens are in anyone's possession all buttons should show green aspect. If a user presses a button, this button will show red at all other users. This indicates that this token is claimed by an other user.

I want to make this system using wemos D1 modules because they are cheap handy and come with battery and charger shields.

Any advice, comments, critisism

Kind regards,

Bas