The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By reaper7
lethe wrote:...
The LDO reaper7 suggested is probably the best & cheapest solution, but you should test how the LDO behaves if the input voltage drops below 3.4V.

3152mV and still works :D
probably a deepsleep current consumption bug in version 095
and I can see battery consumption in a shorter period of time..

----
next day...
2936mV and all systems still works :D

----
end ;)
2768mV
By ChrixXenon
miker wrote:I'm using aTPS61200DRCT to boost and regulate the power from a lipo with good luck so far. Attached is the schematic.
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/TPS61200DRCT/296-21663-1-ND/1534252

Bymiker, as far as I can tell this is a tiny surface mount device. How do you manage the physical aspects of using it?
By ChrixXenon
lethe wrote:
ChrixXenon wrote:Is there a clear winner product for this scenario?

I guess a clear winner would be something like the LTC3113. This is a combined buck-boost regulator, which can provide a stable 3.3V output with an input voltage from 1.8V-5.5V with a quiescence current of about 50uA.
But it's quite expensive and even the TSSOP package has to be reflowed, so it's impractical for most hobbyists.
The LDO reaper7 suggested is probably the best & cheapest solution, but you should test how the LDO behaves if the input voltage drops below 3.4V.

But reaper's LDO is also in a tiny package as far as I can see from the datasheet. How does anyone without industrial micro-manipulation machinery use these things?
By GeoNomad
ChrixXenon wrote:I guess a clear winner would be something like the LTC3113. This is a combined buck-boost regulator, which can provide a stable 3.3V output with an input voltage from 1.8V-5.5V with a quiescence current of about 50uA.

FYI, I tried the MAX1724 which is a similar buck-boost.

input: 0.8-5.5V
Output: 3.3V (adjustable)
quiescent: 1.5 uA

Worked great with small LiPos.