The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By a.gaur89
#85123 Hi,
I'm trying to connect the ESP8266 to a adhoc network but it only keeps on trying to connect without success. I'm able to connect the same ESP8266 to another network. Only problem I face is with adhoc network only. Is there any restriction with ESP8266? If not, how can I connect it to an adhoc network?
By rudy
#85130 Use the adhoc network SSID, and password. The password should be at least 8 characters.

Can you connect to this adhoc network with any other device?

You have supplied no relevant information. It is hard to give you any advice.
By a.gaur89
#85133 Thanks for taking your time to reply.

I had used the ad-hoc network ssid and pwd properly in my ESP8266 and yes, l was able to connect many other devices like iPhone, macbook and windows laptop. There is some issue with Android devices whenever connecting to a AdHoc network, so i was not able to connect android phone to this network.

After some research about ad-hoc networks, i found out that many devices can't be connected to ad-hoc network (they gave example of Chromecast) so maybe it's in ESP8266 only that it can't be connected to an ad-hoc network. That is what I wanted to confirm in this forum if there is any restriction from ESP side that it can't be connected to any ad-hoc network?
By rudy
#85139 Just so there is no misunderstanding, can you explain what you mean by AdHoc?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323868854_An_Ad-Hoc_Network_based_on_Low_cost_Wi-Fi_Device_for_IoT_Device_Communication
Abstract
This paper provides an implementation which solves some of the problems in establishing and operation of ad Hoc networks for embedded system based IoT devices. For the implementation of the system, it used the currently famous module of ESP8266 ESP07 version and the module provides all the necessary features and facilities expected to be in such framework. The system also can work independently and it provides most of the operations that is not available in the current systems. This paper also shows one of the applications tested in this research as an implementation of the system. This solves most of the communication issues faced in ad hoc networks of various embedded systems.

https://robotzero.one/sending-data-esp8266-to-esp8266/
A simple guide to sending data from one ESP8266 to another over Wi-Fi using an ad-hoc, device to device network, without using a wifi router.