The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By dpape
#14687 Hello,

I'm looking at the ESP8266 and it looks like a very nice device to read sensors and control actuators inside the home network. With some HTML API you can build very neat devices, especially as it is now CE/FCC certified.

We from DPTechnics are very open source and have created the DPT-Board (www.dptechnics.com) and very recently opened the BlueCherry (www.bluecherry.io) platform for our board, but we are very open to let other boards use this open and API-independant IoT platform.

I see two options:
  • You can use 1 DPT-Board in the network as a gateway to all the ESP8266 devices in the local network. It doesn't matter what software you write for the ESP8266, the BlueCherry cloud can make it accessible over the Internet without changing firewall settings, port forwarding settings or dyndns accounts. It also secures all traffic from the IoT modem to the browser of the client with TLS/AES encryption.
  • The second option would be to implement the BlueCherry connector software onto the ESP8266 itself. But I do think this has it limitations as AES security can be quite heavy on CPU, specially if it's also running a WiFi and IPv4/IPv6 stack. Therefore I think the DPT-Board as a gateway to ESP8266 devices and sensors is a better solution.

What is your point of view and is there any interest in this?

Kind regards,
Daan Pape,
DPTechnics hardware and software engineer