The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By dpape
#14689 Hello,

I'm looking at the ESP8266 and found it to be a very interesting hardware platform. It can be used to read sensors and control actuators inside the local WiFi network. You can write an API for your device and access it over HTML and later other protocols such as MQTT, ... And now that is has CE/FCC certification you can use it to make real products.

We at DPTechnics are very open source and have developed the DPT-Board (https://dptechnics.com/documentation/dpt-board). It is a fully fledged Linux IoT board with built in ethernet, WiFi and lot's of GPIO.

Recently we launched BlueCherry, an API-independant IoT platform. It comes pre-installed on the DPT-Board and is very easy to use. It removes the need for port-forwarding, firewall settings, security settings and dynamic DNS.

I think our BlueCherry platform can be very handy for ESP8266 developers and I see two ways of implementing it:
  1. DPT-Board as gateway: the DPT-Board can act as a gateway to ESP8266 devices in the local WiFi network. This way the internet connection and encryption of the data is processed by the DPT-Board (IoT modem) for all ESP8266 devices in the network. You can than access any ESP8266 device securely (https) from all over the world without the need to change any software on the ESP8266.
  2. BlueCherry connector on ESP8266: we can implement a secure BlueCherry connector on the ESP8266 application processor. But I do think that AES security will probably slow down the CPU a lot and probably consume a lot of program space.

What is your view on such a setup and is there any interest in it. I can say that there are still some free BlueCherry accounts available.

Kind regards,
Daan Pape
By bnvs
dpape wrote:Hello,

I'm looking at the ESP8266 and found it to be a very interesting hardware platform. It can be used to read sensors and control actuators inside the local WiFi network. You can write an API for your device and access it over HTML and later other protocols such as MQTT, ... And now that is has CE/FCC certification you can use it to make real products.

We at DPTechnics are very open source and have developed the DPT-Board (https://dptechnics.com/documentation/dpt-board). It is a fully fledged Linux IoT board with built in ethernet, WiFi and lot's of GPIO.

Recently we launched BlueCherry, an API-independant IoT platform. It comes pre-installed on the DPT-Board and is very easy to use. It removes the need for port-forwarding, firewall settings, security settings and dynamic DNS.

I think our BlueCherry platform can be very handy for ESP8266 developers and I see two ways of implementing it:
  1. DPT-Board as gateway: the DPT-Board can act as a gateway to ESP8266 devices in the local WiFi network. This way the internet connection and encryption of the data is processed by the DPT-Board (IoT modem) for all ESP8266 devices in the network. You can than access any ESP8266 device securely (https) from all over the world without the need to change any software on the ESP8266.
  2. BlueCherry connector on ESP8266: we can implement a secure BlueCherry connector on the ESP8266 application processor. But I do think that AES security will probably slow down the CPU a lot and probably consume a lot of program space.

What is your view on such a setup and is there any interest in it. I can say that there are still some free BlueCherry accounts available.

Kind regards,
Daan Pape

Noob questions here...

So what does your DPT Board to that the normal esp8266 chip does'nt? specifically when you say make it act like a gateway, what's there to stop others making similar platform?
By Chrunchstick
bnvs wrote:So what does your DPT Board to that the normal esp8266 chip does'nt?

The DPTboard runs linux (OpenWRT) and has a lot more power compared to an esp8266 chip.

dpape wrote:we can implement a secure BlueCherry connector on the ESP8266 application processor.

Please do this, I'm already using BlueCherry on my DPTboard and ESP8266 support would be great.