The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By TheWho
torntrousers wrote:DeepSleep does work ok for me and many other people posting in this forum...I know you said already that you've tried different power supplies but i do still wonder if its power related. Try skipping the regulator and powering the ESP directly from a couple of alkaline batteries?

Good Suggestions - I've tried the following:

1. LiPoly Battery with Charger
2. Lithium Battery with attached charger through JST
3. Powered through USB

All items fail to deep sleep. I've been testing 2 units from Adafruit and both are showing the same issues.

What esp8266 do you use?
By bbx10node
#31889 If power is suspect, I suggest powering the Huzzah board via its regulator but connect it to a 5V 1A wall charger. Disconnect all other devices from the Huzzah except the connection between GPIO 16 and RST. Perhaps some other device is sucking too much current which is causing the ESP to lock up when it powers up from deep sleep.
By Barnabybear
#31899 Hi, just to clarify.
When you used the batteries did you power the board via the 3.3V (next to LDO & GPIO15) or did you use VBat / V+ ?
Do you still have ‘WAKE_RF_DISABLED’ in your code?
Code: Select allESP.deepSleep(SECONDS_DS(10), WAKE_RF_DISABLED);

Are GPIO 16 and RST connected together using the pins on the breakout board (RST_5V) or the terminals on the ESP unit (RST)? I ask because there is a diode between RST and RST_5V which I would think most designs don’t use.
Do you have any additional capacitors after the voltage regulator? The schematic shows only 10uF on the output side. I normally use 0.1uf for RF and =<100uF to compensate for voltage drops, both as close to the IC as possible.
By TheWho
bbx10node wrote:If power is suspect, I suggest powering the Huzzah board via its regulator but connect it to a 5V 1A wall charger. Disconnect all other devices from the Huzzah except the connection between GPIO 16 and RST. Perhaps some other device is sucking too much current which is causing the ESP to lock up when it powers up from deep sleep.

I tried a 5V 1A wall charger. Still not stable.
I disconnected the 16 to RST and when its coming from Deep Sleep it shows a bright light so I you've recommended it appears to be a power issue.