The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By Boomer48
#32681 Just got a couple of these modules and can successfully talk to them using a USB to TTL adapter and Tera Term. I have spent hours searching for a simple set of AT commands to just move data back and forth, initially over my local LAN. I can set up the ESP8266 so that I can see it and connect to it wirelessly from my laptop but that's it. I have set it up with static IP addresses (for both station and AP modes) on my local LAN but opening a web browser at either of those IP addresses does nothing useful that I can see. Is it even possible to do this or does it require running a program on my PC (like a TCP server)instead of just using a web browser? At this point I do not want to reflash it with LUA, etc. so please don't suggest that as a solution. Thanks for your help.
By Tired2
#32750 Sounds like you can ping it.. that function is part of the tcp stack.

To transfer data you need some sort of client server system. Depends what you want to accomplish.

Most people would opt for an http server on the ESP. That way you can sent it data or retrieve data over a REST interface or similar.
By Boomer48
#32776 Finally got it to write text to the webpage. I guess the key was that I wasn't issuing an AT+CIPCLOSE=0 command. The text didn't show up until I did that. Also works with simple HTML commands like line feed (<br>). If anyone cares I can detail the exact procedure I used. I'm still not sure that I can receive text from a webpage. Everything I've seen so far uses some sort of other software interface like another terminal window set to TCP mode.
By alchle
#36286 How did you tell the ESP8266 to send info? I can successfully send data when it is connected directly to a usb-serial adapter on my computer usb port using a serial terminal applicaion. Now I want to send data from an arduino uno. I send data and the blue led flashes om the esp8266 but thingspeak graph doesn't show the data. I'm thinking the carriage returns are not correct after sending the AT command. what does your code looks like to send AT comands? Thanks