The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By richms
#34413 So I bought one of these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-El ... 00795.html

Because it already had a regulator and a temperature/humidity looking thing on it, thinking it would be great to deploy as a temperature sensor.

What I didnt count on was the other chip on it being a STC 15L2K32S2 which appears to be a microcontroller with no english data on it. Damn.

Anyway. Has anyone done anything with this or should I just stick it on the shelf of foolish purchases? I am yet to even trace out what is connected to where on it.
By Garak
#37779 I've got one of these on the way. I didn't realize that there was a second microcontroller on board when I ordered it.

The good news is that is seems to be an 80C51 based microcontroller and there are free programming tools available. I've found datasheets for similar chips but not that exact one. It might take some trial and error to figure out all the register addresses and bit assignments.

So plan A is to try a write some new firmware for the STC15 microcontroller.

My plan B is to desolder the STC15 mircocontroller and jumper the temp sensor and relay back to the ESP8266. I would then run something like ESP easy on it.

Anyone else made any progress with this board?
By beware77
#37889 Hi there

So far I managed to compile and flash a simple firmware to this STC15. It's indeed a 8051 chip (2K RAM / 32K FLASH / 22 MHz) and a free SDCC can compile for it. My goal is to make STC15 a kind of a proxy for ESP.

To speed up things you may just ask questions and I'll try to answer ASAP.

Alex