The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By Prithwiraj Bose
#36504 I am using a FT232RL converter to connect ESP8266 (ESP01) chip to my laptop. I have loaded LUA firmware and have successfully programmed a IoT LED Controller server. It works fine, when it turns on successfully.

But the problem is, most of the times it doesn't get turned on properly. When connected according to the following diagram, the power indicator LED on the ESP chip glows bright and in moment it dims (doesn't goes off, but glows very little). This is the situation when I used to realize that it didn't start fine and I have to remove the power and re-insert it. I need to keep doing these steps atleast 8-9 times to get it properly turned on (ie. when the power LED glows and doesn't turn dim afterwards). After that the ESP works as programmed. BUT not for ever. Suddenly the chip indicator turns dim again and it stops working. When the chip indicator turns dim, I have seen the IC on the USB Converter heats up.

I have verified that there is no short-circuit. Now I am suspecting 2 possible reasons after reading numerous threads on the web:
1. I have to use an external power supply, the onboard 3.3v pin on FT232RL is not adequate to power-up the module
2. I must have made some mistake in the pin connectivity - some more pins on ESP needs to be connected to Vcc or Ground.

Please help me to identify the right root cause. If it is caused for some other reason, please let me know what could be the possible reasons. At first place, I am not assuming my ESP chip is damaged.
By Prithwiraj Bose
eduperez wrote:The 3v3 line on most FTDI's is not powerful enough; I wouldn't even try, for fear of frying it.

Thanks for responding. I highly suspected this. Do you know exactly what amount of current makes ESP01 happy? I read somewhere - it is 250mA (at most). Is that correct?
By eduperez
Prithwiraj Bose wrote:
eduperez wrote:The 3v3 line on most FTDI's is not powerful enough; I wouldn't even try, for fear of frying it.

Thanks for responding. I highly suspected this. Do you know exactly what amount of current makes ESP01 happy? I read somewhere - it is 250mA (at most). Is that correct?

Yes, that is what the datasheets say.