The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By roccomuso
#39948 Hei guys,
I wanna show my last Internet of things project for Home Automation with 433mhz radio communication (using an Arduino connected with radio transmitter/receiver).
You can control 433 MHz RC power sockets, PIR, Door Sensors and much more with it.
I had a lot of 433mhz in my home, so I've decided to build something cool, easy to interact and start with. The system is pretty intuitive. The are a lot of cool features:

Multi-platform (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux).
    Intuitive API to build your own interface.
    Built-In Material design cards-based template.
    Real-time UI refresh.
    Detect Radio Frequency codes (433mhz).
    Generate Cards and assign it to your rooms.
    Control RC power sockets, PIR sensors, Door sensors and much more.
    Totally Open Source & Open Hardware.

Iot-433Mhz is built on top of Node.js and can be installed through npm. The UI follows the material design guidelines. Below a preview:

In the future i'd like to integrate also wifi esp8266-based sensors.

Here the link to the repo:
https://github.com/roccomuso/iot-433mhz

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks! :)
By eduperez
#40105 This is very interesting, I am planning to do something similar.

However, I am having trouble finding 433Mhz devices that are "guaranteed" to work with the current Arduino libraries (I lack the tools / knowledge required to decipher a protocol myself): there are dozens of devices available for cheap on eBay, but how can you know beforehand which ones will work?

May thnks.
By roccomuso
eduperez wrote:This is very interesting, I am planning to do something similar.

However, I am having trouble finding 433Mhz devices that are "guaranteed" to work with the current Arduino libraries (I lack the tools / knowledge required to decipher a protocol myself): there are dozens of devices available for cheap on eBay, but how can you know beforehand which ones will work?

May thnks.

It's quite easy. More ore less most of the 433mhz projects are based on this library: https://github.com/sui77/rc-switch

And in the main README you can easily read which chipset is currently supported:

All you need is a Arduino, a 315/433MHz AM transmitter and one or more devices with a SC5262 / SC5272, HX2262 / HX2272, PT2262 / PT2272, EV1527, RT1527, FP1527 or HS1527 chipset.