The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By erbedo
#44858 Hi, I have a small project in which an ESP-12 wakes up from deep sleep every 30 minutes, polls an hygrometers and reports the data to a local server. Everything is battery operated, and my aim would be to achieve at least some months of operations without battery charging. However, my best shot at the moment is 2 weeks.

The code is simple, I simply wakeup, connect to the network, and send an HTTP request to the server, then go back to sleep. My guess is that the major consumption is when the ESP is trying to get the IP from the DHCP server, which takes considerable time. I'm wondering if I could put the IP as static, and just associate with the WLAN. Otherwise, I would try not to send the data every 30 minutes, but every hour or so, but this would reduce the number of readings I have.

Does anybody have a "best practice" or ideas on how to reduce the consumption?
By erbedo
#45598 Hi, no, I do not use any voltage regulator. I have 3 Ni-MH AA batteries (1.2 V each).

I did not check the consumption whilst in deep sleep. However, it seems to me that the biggest consumption happens due to a slow association to the AP (nearly 6 seconds).