Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By ArnieO
spy king wrote:
More questions,

Is this an overkill for a dimmer node? I will be dimming a 50w (~1.7A) LED, and maybe later some simple RGB strips

In my opinion: Yes. Looks expensive, and will dissipate less than 20 mA at full power of your circuit.
By spy king
ArnieO wrote:
spy king wrote:A quick question to you electronic gurus, the output from the mosfet will not be constant current right? As there modules are made to control these led strips that have inbuilt current limiting resistors?

But, if I were to use a constant current source, and switch it with a mosfet, the output would still be constant current(or current limited would be better terminology) right?

You can think of the mosfet here as an on/off switch, so the answer to all three questions are Yes.

I just tried hooking up a fet connected to an arudino with some pwm to a constant current driver and observe not an ideal situation. There seems to be a humming/ringing sound emanating from the driver, and the dimming is extremely choppy.

The Fet that I am using currently is a this (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/csd18533kcs.pdf) which is logic level and should be not breaking a sweat with my given load of 9W.
Do I require a mosfet driver, I was under the impression that for the switching rate that we are talking about here, it shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: doing some more reading, I see that the constant current part is done my sensing the output current and trying to maintain it by tracking the voltage. So I am not entirely sure I can use a Fet to dim it? Some more nosing around the driving board led me to believe that it has this (http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/SSL2115X.pdf) controller.
By tjclement
#22478 Hey guys,

I notice there have been some questions regarding the software to use for this dimmer. Like someone previously said, I've been working on this at https://github.com/tjclement/esp-dimmer-software.

That project currently has four cool features:
- An extendible tiny web server that can respond to API requests you send to the ESP.
- If the wanted access point can't be joined, the ESP will create its own access point that you can join
- It has a UDP server bound to the LUA interpreter, so you can have an over-the-air command line to the ESP by running a netcat session locally: `nc -u <ip> 23`. This saves me from hooking up a serial converter every time.
- It has some scripts to write new lua files to SPI flash over wifi, so updates don't need a serial converter either.

I want to fix at least the generic settings module that is already present in the code, but not being used. After that I feel like this is release-worthy, at which point I can write a readme.

In the mean time, the esp-dimmer-software repo is indeed functional (I'm using it at home as we speak), so feel free to clone it and use it as you see fit. The public release with some explanation will likely follow any time.